Saturday, January 22, 2011

Travelers' Fare

     If home is our family's haven, yet it's the only haven we know, this home is not enough.  I spend my days, even this entire season of my life, making our home a refuge for my husband, children and guests.  I am often challenged, or feel deprived, and am not content.  I am not meant to be content only with home and family.  I was not created to be satisfied only with this world.  The comfort of Christ and hope of heaven drive away discouragement or despair and I will never be satisfied by anything less than the matchless grace of God.
"Thus it should be with us in this world, for the truth is, we are all in this world but as seafaring men, tossed up and down on the waves of the sea of this world and our haven is heaven;  here we are traveling and our home is a distant home in another world....Though we meet with travelers' fare sometimes, yet it should not be grievous to us.  The Scripture tells us plainly that we must behave ourselves as pilgrims and strangers: 'Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul' (I Pet. 2:11).  Consider what your condition is, you are pilgrims and strangers; so do not satisfy yourselves here....you are as it were, only lodging here, for a night."
 Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment by Jeremiah Burroughs
 "Therefore comfort one another with these words." I Thessalonians 4:18

No comments:

Post a Comment