Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Something Lovely: A Thoughtful Friend







     Our pastor's wife brought these tulips when they came for dinner.  We could see just one bud, almost ready to burst, the other blossoms following as the days past.  The gift is such a thoughtful gesture, a little something extra and unexpected, that brings a longer lasting joy.  When I come down in the morning I'm astonished by that glorious pink, radiant in the morning sun.  I remember not only the gift, but the giver.  I think of her gentleness, godliness, and sincere concern for others.  I'm grateful not only for the tulips but for the friend.
     Years ago another godly woman brought me a small token of affection, a single rose bud and stem of variegated sage, plucked from her garden.  She explained she would buy bud vases at the thrift store for 99 cents and keep them on hand to give away.  She and her husband kept a gigantic, beautiful, marvelously well tended garden.  And, you see, as they planted, pruned, weeded and watered, they were always thinking not only of themselves, but of others.  I still remember her love and the simplicity of the gift.

Let all that you do be done in love.
1 Corinthians 16:14 


No comments:

Post a Comment