Monday, January 3, 2011

A Little Late

     We're home again, having made our way half way across the US without incident.  We're unpacking bags and finding places for Christmas gifts.  There are still Christmas decorations to organize and pack away for next year.  In a sense my new year is beginning now, a few days late.  So today I want to share the most important reading I do in any year - the Bible.
     Years ago we had a godly pastor, one I admired for his gentle spirit and wisdom, who advised reading the Bible not according to a plan, but according to our interest and God's leading.  I tried it but I don't seem to be as attuned to God's Spirit as others are.  Many days I wasn't interested in opening the Bible at all.
     I am more of a goal oriented person.  Maybe it's less "spiritual" but what I need to keep me coming back to God's word for sustenance is a checklist.  A through the Bible in a year plan.  The wonder of it is how often the day's assigned passage speaks directly to my heart and the events of that day.  It's God's Spirit, always at work in His children.
     Even though it's past the first of the year, I'll share my links.  And if you don't have a plan to come daily to His Word, you can try one, starting on the 3rd or 4th or even May 10th.  There's no magic on January 1, making goals and resolutions all come to pass.  We have discipline and resolve which we can apply at any time, growing in wisdom at all times.
     This plan from John Piper's church, Bethlehem Baptist, which I've used for several years.  I like it because there are 25 daily readings for every month.  No matter how good my intentions I seem to fall behind and like those few days of margin.
     This year I am going to try the M'Cheyne Bible Reading Plan.  I found it in a handy pamphlet at church and thought it might be nice for a change.
Incline your ear and hear the words of the wise, and apply your mind to my knowledge; for it will be pleasant if you keep them within you, that they may be ready on your lips.  So that your trust may be in the LORD, I have taught you today, even you.  Have I not written to you excellent things of counsels and knowledge...?  Proverbs 22:17-20

No comments:

Post a Comment