Friday, November 19, 2010

The Tongue

"Let not many of you become teachers, my brethren, knowing that as such we will incur a stricter judgment."
     I lead off our family Bible memory time with these words from James 3.  James 3 filled with God's wisdom on the tongue and its destructive power.  After only a few lines I am yelling at the four year old beside me, "Sit still and say these verses."
     Bryan and the kids are all quiet for a minute, then gently laughing, because it is so very wrong of me, but funny too, to be yelling during this memory work.  And me?  My conscience is stricken.  I'm tucking these words away in my mind and not letting them travel down and grab my heart as well.  Out of all the members of the family it seems to be me, most of all, in need of James 3.  I am longing, powerfully longing, for the day the beauty Christ is forming in me is not constantly marred by sin.
"And the tongue is a fire, the very world of iniquity; the tongue is set among our members as that which defiles the entire body, and sets on fire the course of our life, and is set on fire by hell."

No comments:

Post a Comment