Saturday, November 20, 2010

Hard Words

     On the daily disciplines of our Christian life:
"It is enjoined upon us by Our Lord; and since they are His commands, I believe in following them. It is always just possible that Jesus Christ meant what He said when He told us to seek the secret place and close the door."
                  C.S. Lewis in Seeking the Secret Place: The Spiritual Formation of C. S. Lewis


     Some days I am hungry and ready to feast on the Word of the Lord.  I am willing to learn from Him and speak to Him.  My time is His.  Other days I would just as soon not do it at all.  By a sheer act of the will I will discipline myself to pick up that Bible and encourage myself that just small portion will do.  Even just a few verses are better than none, therefore just a few will do.  That half-hearted glance at His word, those five minutes before I pick up that novel are hardly time spent in a secret place with Him.  And Lewis has hard words for fickle people like me,
"our Lord's teaching allows no quarter." 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment