Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Election Reflection

     I realize it might be nice to find a place free from election news today, but it what's I'm thinking about today too.  I'm opting for a little non-partisan encouragement.  First, Agatha Christie:
     "Politicians don't have time to look at the world they're living in.  They see the country they're living in and they see it as one vast electoral platform.  That's quite enough to put on their plates for the time being." 
      Or, at the risk of sounding jaded, no matter the results of the election today, "People never mind spending a great deal of money.  It impresses them.  It's when you want to do things nice and economically, they won't play."  It's not all death and mayhem in Agatha Christie's mysteries.
     Are you proud of your candidates, how much money they've raised and spent?  Or do you feel all the money spent is billions of wasted dollars and your discouraged?  Freakonomics offers a good perspective.  (Am I allowed to love this book the way I do?  I don't always agree.  The book makes me ask questions and, even better, it makes me laugh.)  According to Levitt and Dubner, Americans spend no more per year on democratic elections than on chewing gum.   Which do you love more, democracy or gum?
     And God?  Last night at Bible Study we were discussing Isaiah 10 and Assyria's pride in their accomplishment.  God says, "Is the axe to boast itself over the one who chops with it?  Is the saw to exalt itself over the one who wields it?"  Let's put our pride in American exceptionalism to rest and remember God is the Master Craftsman using men and governments as tools is His own hands,  according to His own wise counsel.
     Psalm 2 tells us God sits in the heavens and laughs as rulers take counsel together against Him.  He says, "I have installed My King upon Zion, My holy mountain."  The reign of Jesus Christ is the unchangeable plan of God, and He directs us to show discernment and reverence.  And He closes the Psalm, in verse 12, "How blessed are all who take refuge in Him!"
     I bore that in mind as I cast my ballot.  And, yes, I did read far enough in Freakonomics to know that my vote doesn't matter.



  

No comments:

Post a Comment