Monday, August 29, 2011

Musing on the Deeds of the Lord

Consider the word muse. Webster's 1828 Dictionary includes these definitions: to ponder; to think closely; to study in silence.

Now, think of amuse. When you are amused, you are entertained, diverted. You are also a-mused, you are not pondering, thinking, studying. I admit, this isn't a dictionary definition, if you look up the etymology of amuse, this isn't what you'll find. Nevertheless, this is true. 

A little time and space to muse or meditate on the things of God is good for our souls. Though we go to great lengths to avoid it, a little boredom, a dearth of amusements, may provide space to seek after God. Long, quiet nights and days of silent work gave the ancients a wealth of time to consider God and ponder His works. I can't duplicate that wealth, but I can, I am determined to, create quiet, allow what we call boredom, as opportunity to set my mind on the things of God.


When I remember You on my bed,
I meditate on You in the night watches.
Psalm 63:6

I will remember my song in the night;
I will meditate with my heart,
And my spirit ponders.
Psalm 77:6

But his delight is in the law of the LORD,
And in His law he meditates day and night.
Psalm 1:2

No comments:

Post a Comment