Monday, November 28, 2011

His Praise in My Mouth

I will bless the LORD at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth. My soul shall make its boast in the LORD; the humble shall hear it and rejoice. O magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt His name together. Psalm 34:1-3
Friday morning, after our day of thanks, my brother was in my mom's kitchen. I don't know if anyone was listening, but he was listing things for which he was thankful. I caught the tail end of his list and couldn't resist teasing him.

"You silly, you can't be thankful today, that was yesterday."

Thanks-giving limited to just one day seems trite. At all times I will bless the Lord: Thursday, Friday and Monday morning.

Ours was a weekend for celebrating the gifts from God's own hand. There were long talks on the couch. We drank countless cups of tea. The kids built a fort in the woods, with a throne of moss, a wall woven of sticks, and rock lined pathways; all with the help of grown-up aunts and uncles. There was home brewed cappuccino. The turkey was moist (you never know) and there was too much pumpkin pie. We played out the annual cribbage tournament, and some (always ready for fun) added a chess tournament. There was boasting over who could win it all in a ping-pong tournament, but the bracket was never drawn up; games were played just for fun, just for bragging rights. There was football and soccer. There were walks in the autumn sun. There was the blessing of an extended family that took up three rows at church on Sunday morning. It was Thanksgiving indeed.

And I hope it was for you also. Thanksgiving indeed. At all times.

With all my heart my thanks I'll bring, before the gods Thy praises sing; I'll worship in Thy holy place and praise Thy name for truth and grace. Psalm 138:1-2, The Book of Psalms for Singing

No comments:

Post a Comment