Saturday, November 5, 2011

Disproportionate Fruit

Today I shivered through soccer games. I shivered through the end of the season picnic. I made a batch of homemade hot cocoa powder, and drank three cups (I know, it's too much; I was cold). I washed two loads of laundry. I ordered Christmas presents. I wrapped presents. I made lists. I answered email. I cleaned the garbage can. I played a game with the family. I made pizza. I washed dishes. I Swiffered the floors upstairs. I gave a bath. I sent kids to the shower. I washed a dirty face. I watched Roy Rogers with the kids. I gave goodnight kisses.

In other words, today was an ordinary Saturday. Was today a wasted day? John Piper, in Taste and See, says, "Don't dream too small or pray too small about what God may do to save sinners and glorify his name in the midst of steady-state obedience." I think it was wasted only in that I both dream and pray too small.

We should not assume that nothing extraordinary will happen while we persevere in daily faithfulness. That is where God loves to act in supernatural ways. Therefore, we should pray: "O Lord, make the fruit  of our lives utterly disproportionate to the measure of our faithfulness."

Yes, Lord, fruit utterly disproportionate to the measure of my faithfulness and help me to persevere. Help me to assume You will do the extraordinary in me, through me, and around me.


*John Piper, Taste and See: Savoring the Supremacy of God in All of Life, pg. 378

No comments:

Post a Comment