Saturday, November 19, 2011

Deceitful Heart

Our family is memorizing James 1 right now. I guess the benefit of memorizing is that you can carry the Word around with you, like pulling a scripture card out of the pocket of your mind. I find myself mulling over one phrase, not even a verse, just a phrase, for days. Is it meditating on scripture when you're also chopping carrots, or driving the car, or raking leaves? I think it pleases God when our mindless tasks give us a quiet moment to be mindful of the Living God.
If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not bridle his own tongue but deceives his own heart, this man's religion is worthless.  James 1:26
This week I kept coming back to the question, am I deceiving my own heart? James says we can do it, we can deceive our own hearts.
The heart is more deceitful than all else and is desperately sick; who can understand it? I, the LORD, search the heart, I test the mind....   Jeremiah 17:9-10
I am dependent upon the grace of God. I am dependent upon the grace of God in our Lord Jesus Christ. I am dependent upon the searching work of the Holy Spirit leading my heart to truth.
 Watch over your heart with all diligence, for from it flow the springs of life. Proverbs 4:23

No comments:

Post a Comment