Tuesday, July 26, 2011

A Conversation With the Chef: Kitchen Organization


Three years ago when we moved in my mom recommended I create a "baking center." Everything I use for baking in one cupboard. I ignored her. For three years. Then the other day it suddenly seemed like a good idea. Measuring cups, the mixer and key ingredients straight ahead. Bowls to the right. Flour and sugar down below. I only have to walk over to the fridge. 

I didn't walk far before, our kitchen is long, but narrow. Three steps over, three steps back. Three over, three back. Three over, three back. But I guess three steps here and there adds up to more time than I realized. Baking seems much quicker with this new system. Now I am a model of motion efficiency.

I should have listened to my mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment