Friday, December 9, 2011

Lovely, Lovelier, Loveliest

Kara and I spent  part of this afternoon on the couch, admiring other people's houses especially Megan's at Life Made Lovely. Then I spent the rest of the afternoon thinking one of two things. Either I was coveting and feeling sorry for myself because my life isn't lovely (which is totally false). Or I was busy working myself into a frenzy over all the crafty ideas that would make my home lovely. Lovelier.

I worked myself into quite a state. I'm good at that. Leave me alone with my thoughts and I can go ballistic.

I had to breathe peace this afternoon. The objects of beauty in this home are our hearts, beating with love for this Christmas babe, the Lord Jesus Christ. Tonight I am sneaking away to bed early, with a cuppa and my Bible. I need to reorient my heart; I'm seeking those lovely things which the Lord considers the most glorious of all. Psalm 96:9 says, "Worship the LORD in holy attire." Or it could say, "Worship the LORD in the splendor of holiness." Or, as the Book of Psalms for Singing says, "In beautiful and holy robes bring worship to the LORD." Or from the Scottish Metrical Psalter of 1650:

 Give ye the glory to the Lord
         that to his name is due;
      Come ye into his courts, and bring
         an offering with you.
     In beauty of his holiness,
         O do the Lord adore;
      Likewise let all the earth throughout
         tremble his face before.

No comments:

Post a Comment