Thursday, April 5, 2012

Chicken Tortilla Soup

If I were a better blogger I'd have step-by-step photos detailing how to make this soup: chopping the onions, operating the can opener. Let's pretend my reasons for not having any photos have to do with my belief in your intelligence. You know how to use a can opener, even without a photo. It used to be that if you could read, you could cook.

1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 TB olive oil
1/2 TB chili powder
1 tsp. dried oregano
28 ounces crushed tomatoes (or used diced, if it saves you a trip to the store)
2 C. (or 15 ounce can) chicken broth
1 C. water (I replace this with homemade chicken broth whenever I can)
1 C. frozen corn
1 small can chopped green chilis
15 ounce can black beans, or increase this to two cans if you like beans, drained
1/4 C. chopped fresh cilantro
Top with tortilla chips, chopped avocado and shredded Monterey Jack cheese

In a medium stock pot heat oil over low heat. Add onion, cook until soft. Add garlic, and cook for one minute. Stir in chili powder, oregano, tomatoes, broth, and water. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes. Then stir in corn, chills, beans and cilantro. Simmer 10 more minutes, or longer.

This freezes nicely, without the garnishes, of course. I highly recommend doubling the recipe, thereby earning a future night off cooking.

Remember, this is cooking not rocket science. Change it up. Have fun. Last week I dumbfounded my family by adding green beans. I didn't think it was a very daring change. However, they repeatedly inquired, "Why?" I just thought something green would be a nice addition. They dutifully ate their soup, but, I think, were unconvinced.

No comments:

Post a Comment