Wednesday, March 14, 2012

What To Do With Two






I could have packed him up and sent him off with the others. I had planned to have the day all to myself. I had planned hours of peace and quiet and a reading and an activity schedule. But sometimes in the hustle and bustle it's easy to miss this littlest one. Even more than I needed a day to myself, he needed a day for just two. Muttering a quiet complaint, I did what I knew was right. We waved goodbye to the family, walked back inside and had the very best of days.

We did some chores. This always in motion boy a cheerful worker under mom's approving eyes.

We played Teddy Mix and Match counting out our bears by two's.

We nestled together on the sunny spot and read all the library books. We read How to Dig a Hole to the Other Side of the World two times. It's twice as good and oh-so funny when you're six.

We ate lunch at the quiet table, side by side. We made two malted chocolate milkshakes for dessert. Two straws.

He biked and I huffed along behind him, vainly trying to catch up. We stopped to watch the muskrat in the water. We craned our necks to see the hawks overhead. He stopped to pick a boquet, grape hyacinth and common weeds growing beside the trail. A gift for the love of his life, and it's still me.

We had the very best of days, we two.

No comments:

Post a Comment