Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Untended Ditch










Our noontime walk each day takes Bryan and I along one wild stretch of road. One untended ditch in the midst of these blocks of houses. Yesterday I noticed the flowers again after the long summer, blooming wild, and I noticed fall. I walked back in the afternoon with Arden, the littlest, and we took turns photographing the ditch.

If I had the time to stitch a fall quilt, even a fall table runner, I know what colors I would choose. I love those fall colors stretching for miles along roads and up hillsides. The Great Master, He who created the world and all things in it, adds flecks of shocking colors to this fall canvas. He chooses the unexpected, He surprises, He delights.

So it is in our lives. He chooses the unexpected, "but God has chosen the foolish things...God has chosen the weak things...the base things...the despised...the things that are not..." (I Cor. 1:27-28). He surprises, "Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond what we ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory..." (Eph. 3:20-21).

He delights in His creation. He delights our souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment